Sarabeth Levine - Goddess of Bakedom

ABOUT ME

RECENT ENTRIES

AWARDS

MONTHLY ARCHIVES

WELCOME BACK MARBLE CAKE

final marble DSC04715.JPG

BELOVED MARBLE CAKE, every time I pass you sitting on our bakery counter I feel a pain in my heart that you were excluded from the final round up of the "Everyday Cakes" chapter of my baking book. It was not an easy decision. Oh, so tender, moist and chocolaty; scented with a hint of almond, and a touch of coffee. How I love your beautiful brown and golden swirls. This morning as I looked at you, it came to me quite naturally, why not include you in the blog? Let me hurry and prepare you in your beautiful pan for your debut and take a photo. Now, everyone will enjoy you.

Marble Cake
Makes 10 to 12 servings

BAKERS NOTE: For the easiest way to transfer the batters to the pan, use a 2 ½–inch diameter ice cream scoop.

Softened butter for the pan

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus more for the pan

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon fine sea salt

12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 ½ cups plus 3 tablespoons superfine sugar, divided

4 large eggs, beaten, at room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder

1/3 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled

1/2 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour the inside of an 8-cup fluted tube pan and tap out the excess flour.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Beat the butter in the bowl of a heavy-duty standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in 1 ½ cups of the sugar, then add the vanilla. Beat until the mixture is very light in color and texture, (scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicon spatula occasionally) about 5 minutes. Slowly beat in the eggs. Reduce the mixer speed to low. In thirds, add the flour, scraping down the bowl as needed and beating until smooth after each addition.

3. Whisk the cocoa, coffee, instant espresso powder, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and almond extract together in a medium bowl to dissolve the cocoa. Transfer a little less than half of the batter to the cocoa mixture and mix with a spoon until smooth. Using a 2 ½-inch diameter ice cream scoop, alternate scoops of the vanilla and chocolate batters into the pan. With a chopstick, swirl the batters together, taking care not to touch the sides of the pan. Gently smooth the top.

4. Bake until the top of the cake springs back when gently pressed with your finger, and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack to cool completely.

(The cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.)

Tags: Everyday Cakes Cakes , Marble Cake , Sarabeth's Bakery , Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours

Categories: Cakes, Dessert, Recipes

Linda  | January 25, 2011 12:24 PM

A gorgeous cake...thank you for posting it. But now I must go and find a cake pan like you have because I just love the look of the cakes made in it. I have been coveting one since I got your book...and now I can not stand it anymore. Gotta have it!

Jenny  | January 26, 2011 6:49 AM

That is the most beautiful marble cake I have every seen. No wonder you love it so. I must attempt to make one today, but have no hopes of achieving the fabulosity you achieved in your cake. It really is stunning!

Lindy  | January 26, 2011 12:51 PM

I saw this post yesterday....and well...I made that marble cake! It was fantastic! I had one small sliver....diet thing....hoping the boys will devour it by the evening....cause it calls my name! Oh, my FIL made a wonderful marble cake but this one wins hands down! His was always so dry...this one PERFECTO!

Laura  | January 26, 2011 6:14 PM

Cake looks delicious, but I am curious as to where one might purchase the 8 cup fluted tube pan that was used. I have been surfing the web and nothing has come up so far for 8 cup tube pans.

Maria  | January 27, 2011 2:09 PM

Beautiful marble cake! It was so nice to meet you at your bakery. It is such a lovely place. I look forward to following your blog and delicious recipes.

Robbin  | January 28, 2011 12:58 AM

Okay, I feel like I have died and gone to heaven. I love your blog and cannot wait to read it all and study it. What a beautiful woman you are and such a gift, thanks for sharing.

Mindy AKA Fat Fanny Cookie and Treats  | February 2, 2011 1:50 PM

Love your marble cake :)

Constance  | March 4, 2011 4:48 PM

just made this today and it was to die for! i already ate 3 pieces and might have another one later on :) too bad it didnt make it in the book but at least you blogged about it. thank you so much, sarabeth

KY  | March 11, 2011 11:18 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your marble cake recipe. I made it today and we all loved it. It's now my favourite marble cake recipe! Your pan is lovely. I used a Bundt cake pan and it didn't turn out so tall.

KY  | March 21, 2011 9:55 PM

Hi Sarabeth, can I bake this cake in a 8" square or round pan? Will the baking time remain the same? Thank you.

Micaela  | May 23, 2011 12:10 AM

Hi Sarabeth! I'm a novice baker, so I apologize if the answer should be obvious to me: when you call for unbleached flour, does that mean all-purpose? I just want to be sure that it's not supposed to be cake flour. This marble cake is yelling out my name! Thank you SO much for the recipe, and thank you for everything you've done for the BHF11PP group over on Twitter!!!

Your Comments

Comment Preview   (Will auto generate as you type your comment)

SARABETH’S BOOK