Sarabeth Levine - Goddess of Bakedom

Sarabeth At the Bakery Sarabeth On the Road Sarabeth's Sarabeth Equipment I Use

ABOUT ME

RECENT ENTRIES

AWARDS

MONTHLY ARCHIVES

O, CHRISTMAS TREE

turnover.JPGYesterday morning began like any other day. I arrived at the bakery and passed through the retail area, said good morning to the girls at the counter and whipped around the bend into the bakery kitchen. The production room was bustling with activity and my mind was whirring with thoughts of  chocolate dipped Christmas cookies and getting  ready to make the stollen.

Marcelo was talking with one of the bakers and when I caught his eye, I knew by his infectious smile, that he had a surprise up his sleeve: after all, we have been baking together for 30 years. He greeted me as usual  and asked how my class had gone at Kings Market (Short Hills, New Jersey) the evening before. I told him how pleased I was and how beautiful and flaky my Apple Turnovers had turned out. He said, "Don't move, I have something to show you". He turned on his heels and darted to a rolling rack. I could feel his excitement. He quickly took something from one of the trays, hid it in his apron, and came over to me. The grin on his face was priceless. "Sarabeth, look at these", and he opened his apron to show me. There they were, two perfect little puff pastry Christmas tree apple turnovers, three- inches tall. I was beside myself.  What an idea —he was so clever.  The look of pride on his face, that expression one has when they put a twist on something already great that takes it to the next level. Thank goodness I always carry my camera, and in an instant, I placed them on the counter, sprinkled them with "snow", snapped the photo and popped them in my mouth — breakfast. I am sure you will be seeing them soon in our bakery case.

Categories: At the Bakery, Christmas, Dessert, Holiday Recipes

Bill  | December 2, 2010 1:16 PM

Love this post, honey!
Can I have a Christmas Tree turnover?

Linda  | December 2, 2010 4:03 PM

These are gorgeous...I live so close to King's in Short Hills I wish I would have known you were going to be there, I would have loved to have taken the class!

Now I have to figure out how those tree turnovers were made...just lovely!

Hanaa  | December 2, 2010 5:51 PM

I have two authors to thank for (virtually) introducing me to you: Tish Boyle for posting a picture of your new book on her blog and Dorie Greenspan for doing a review of your new book and providing a link to your blog. I just picked up your book at the library last night. It's amazing and I haven't even made it through the breakfast chapter yet. It always pleases me when I read that authors prefer weighing their ingredients. I can't remember the last time I baked without my kitchen scale. I even take it with me on vacation (but that's a different story for another time, ha ha).
One quick question for you, if you don't mind: you mentioned the dip-and-sweep method for measuring flour in your book. Does that mean that 1 cup of flour in your recipes is equal to 5 oz?

Thanks a lot!
Hanaa
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Hanaa  | December 3, 2010 11:43 PM

Thank you very much for getting back to me on that. I can't wait to start baking from your new book. Will definitely report back to you! Have a great weekend.

Mrs. Itazura  | December 4, 2010 6:40 PM

I also owe Dorie a virtual thank you for her post that sent me your direction! I love this post, it shows such appreciation and joy for your baking comrades!

I also thank you for posting the weight of your one cup of flour as I, like Hanaa, bake by weight as a general rule. I look forward to seeing your blog grow! :)

brian grant evans  | February 8, 2011 12:04 PM

I LOVE your new book, i got it yesterday, and can't wait to get started baking!

trains o scale  | October 23, 2011 12:47 PM

this is a nice christmas treat this coming christmas. i cant wait to get my hands on them. trains o scale

Patrice Marie Grace  | October 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Christmas Cookie Miracles!...Great story again,and photos! My maternal grandma rolled out all kinds of wonderful cookies at xmas!Her "gingerbreads",and "chocolate" roll outs were paper thin,and scrumptious! Yes...Just like your bakery? How does one roll out such perfectly clean,and thin cookie dough? Do you have a trick to share? Are machines doing this today? "God honest--"them" cookies were "perfecto"!

Your Comments

Comment Preview   (Will auto generate as you type your comment)

SARABETH’S BOOK